For today’s blog post, I am going to share with you all tips on how you can take amazing Instagram photos by yourself! When I am home from college, my sister takes all of my awesome Instagram photos and it’s so convenient and fun! However, when I am at college, I mainly take my own photos (with a few taken by my boyfriend when I force him too). So, if you don’t have someone to take your Instagram photos with you or you would rather take them by yourself, here are some of my top tips!
Equipment you will want:
- If you don’t get anything, get a tripod. The most frustrating thing is to have an amazing place to shoot photos, but not have anywhere to put your phone / camera.
- Ring light
- If you are shooting inside especially, you want to make sure that you lighting is good. Ring lights are a great way to bring in artificial light to brighten up your photos
- Bluetooth / Remote clicker
- A remote clicker is just one way you can take your photo with.
- OR you can just use your phone timer or your camera timer 🙂
Process of taking photos:
Find your location and pick your outfit. I think that location is a huge factor when taking your photos. You want to make sure your background is clean and looks pretty.
Find poses ahead of time that you want to try. What I like to do is go onto Pinterest and find out photo inspiration to save to my boards. This is helpful for figuring out what I want to do in terms of poses before I actually go to shoot. It also helps speed up the process.
Set up your station, camera, & tripod if you have one. This step is pretty easy but it is very important.
Make sure that you have good lighting. This can be natural lighting or using a ring light.
There are 3 (main) ways you can take your photos.
- You can use a self-timer (either set it for 3 seconds or 10 seconds)
- Use a Bluetooth / remote clicker. When you use a clicker, make sure you have it hidden so it is not in your photo. You can do this by posing with your hands covering the clicker, putting a hand in your pocket, or behind your back.
- Record a video of yourself doing multiple poses, then go back and screenshot them. Make sure if you are doing this video trick, you are staying in the same pose long enough. When you go to screenshot your photos, they will not be blurry from your motion of changing poses.
Look at some of your photos that you just took and adjust. Fix the lighting, angle, background, anything that you need to fix. It’s best to do this earlier then finishing with a photoshoot and finding out there is something wrong in every one of your photos.
Experiment. A lot of the times, if I am taking photos of myself, I am typically doing it in my apartment. Firstly, it is cold outside currently, and secondly, there aren’t many places to go. A lot of my photos end up looking the same. So not only experiment with different locations, but also with poses, outfits, props, and backgrounds. This is a great way to spice up your photos and take your Instagram to the next level.
Change up your outfits. Sometimes if you have an amazing photo location, use it multiple times and change outfits or even just put on a jacket! This can easily spice up your photos.
And that’s it! It’s honestly so much fun taking photos by yourself. Throw on some music or a TV show you love, and just experiment. I also find it kind of nice to take photos by myself so I don’t have to feel like I’m awkward (lol). I hope you apply this process & my tips when you’re going to take your own photos to make your Instagram pop off!!
Actually, I run a community of influencers, bloggers, youtubers, entrepreneurs, and pretty much anyone else who wants to join on Instagram called Simply Creative Co. (IG: @simplycreative.co). If you use these tips, or you just want to be featured on the account, feel free to follow & tag me (@infinitebeauty7) and Simple Creative Co (@simplycreative.co) or use the #simplycreativeco and I would LOVE to include you!
Pinterest: The Cozy Corner Blog
Leave a Reply